It is hard to believe that the school year is coming to a close and soon we will start summer camp. This year our theme is “Camp Out!” We will be exploring the wilderness in a variety of ways! We will be learning about wild animals, stars, bugs, and more! We will do scavenger hunts, see stars projected onto the ceiling, make s’mores, and hang out in tents! We will have the wading pools, some big events, take walks to the library, garden, and play in the sun!
While planning for camp I found 15 Fun Outdoor Activities For Kids! This summer, even if your child is not with us we hope you will take advantage of the outdoors. Children are spending less time outdoors and here are what they are missing (according to the National Wildlife Foundation)
- Outdoor play increases fitness levels and builds active, healthy bodies, an important strategy in helping the one in three American kids who are obese7 get fit.
- Spending time outside raises levels of Vitamin D, helping protect children from future bone problems, heart disease, diabetes and other health issues.8
- Being out there improves distance vision and lowers the chance of nearsightedness.9
- Exposure to natural settings may be widely effective in reducing ADHD symptoms.10
- Schools with environmental education programs score higher on standardized tests in math, reading, writing and listening.11
- Exposure to environment-based education significantly increases student performance on tests of their critical thinking skills.12
Children’s stress levels fall within minutes of seeing green spaces.13
Play protects children’s emotional development whereas loss of free time and a hurried lifestyle can contribute to anxiety and depression.14
Nature makes you nicer, enhancing social interactions, value for community and close relationships.15
This summer we plan to embrace The National Wildlife Foundation’s Motto “Be Out There” during our summer of “Camp Out!” If you would like to join us for the summer and are not already signed up, contact the Preschool Office at 412.421.8857